We believe a clean garment functions much better than a dirty one. Wash your quality, down outerwear regularly, rather than once or twice a year; this will maximize loft, remove odours and soil and restore the original performance of the garment.
Granger’s Down Cleaner is specifically designed to clean your down garment and will not strip natural oils from the down insulation. It is water-based and odourless and will not leave a residue on garments.
Follow these guidelines to get the most out of your quality, down outerwear:
- Open all pockets and empty out the contents.
- Close all Velcro areas and zip up the main zipper but leave any zippered pockets open.
- Detach the hood and fur if present. Wash the hood and fur with the jacket but do not put the fur in the dryer. Lay or hang it to dry.
- If there are stains on the garment, these can be pre-treated with a non-bleaching, color-safe spot cleaner. Wash the garment immediately after scrubbing these stained areas very gently with a soft nail/tooth brush. Do not let the spot cleaner sit on the garment.
- Try to wash a full load with at least 3 garments to maximize efficiency.
- In order to retain the natural oils of the down that lead to a loftier insulation, use 3 to 4 cap-fulls of Granger’s Down Cleaner, where you normally would put laundry detergent into your machine. There is no need for any other detergent and Granger’s products are compatible for use in high efficiency washing machines.
- Do not use fabric softener.
- Wash on the cold cycle and remove from the machine as soon as the cycle ends.
- Transfer the garments to the dryer and set to low or medium heat depending on your dryer. Some dryers are extremely hot even on medium, which could lead to appliques peeling away from the nylon fabric.
- Do not use dryer sheets.
- Dry garments completely. Drying a down-filled garment takes patience. You want to ensure that all the moisture is removed from the garment. The sensor on your dryer will likely say the garment is dry when some moisture is still present. If this is the case, put the garments on a timer to dry at low to medium heat for an additional 30 minutes or longer as needed.
If you have any questions whatsoever regarding the care of your garment, feel free to contact us or the manufacturer directly.